New Latitude Laptops
Inspired by your needs, the new Dell Latitude family of commercial laptops have been completely re-engineered and redesigned with groundbreaking advancements in durability, security, battery life, connectivity and remote administration. All new Dell Latitude laptops feature exclusive innovations such as:
* Dell ControlPointTM with ControlVaultTM for secure credential management
* Dell Latitude ONTM for instant access to email, calendar and Internet
* Dell ImageDirectTM for easy deployment and management of your mobile assets.
No matter what your organization wants, there is a Dell Latitude to meet your needs.
Dell Takes Business Laptops to New Latitudes
* Sets Business-Class Benchmarks for Weight, Design and Durability
* Breakthrough Battery Life: Up to 19 Hours on a Single Charge
* Previews Dell Latitude ON technology: Access to E-mail in Seconds
* Halogen-Reduced System
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Inspired by close collaboration with nearly 4,000 IT professionals and end users, Dell today announced a completely new line of Latitude and Dell Precision laptops, ranging from the lightest ultra-portable in the company’s history to the most powerful mobile workstation. More details are available at www.dell.com/latitudepresskit.
The new Latitude systems provide breakthrough battery life, brilliant new design and style -- including a choice of five colors.
“Since 1995, we’ve shipped more business laptops worldwide than anyone,” said Michael Dell, chairman and CEO of Dell. “This, and our 5 million plus conversations a day with customers, gives us real insight into the needs of the digital nomad. Today we’re translating that insight into breakthrough productivity, portability and design. The new Latitudes are breathtaking.”
Dell’s re-engineered Latitude lineup answers a wide range of user profiles:
* Ultra-Portable – Dell Latitude E4200 is a 12.1-inch laptop that starts at 2.2 pounds, making it the lightest commercial notebook in the company’s history.1 The 13.3-inch Latitude E4300 has a starting weight of 3.3 pounds.1 Designed for road warriors and executives who demand maximum performance and light weight, the systems will be available in the coming weeks.
* Mainstream – The Dell Latitude E6400 and E6500, available today, are 14.1- and 15.4-inch laptops that start at $1,139 and $1,169, respectively. The systems are ideal desktop replacements for high-performance users.
* Essential – The Latitude E5400, a 14.1-inch notebook, starts at $839, and the E5500, a 15.4-inch notebook starts at $869. Available today, the systems include everyday features at a cost-effective price.
* Semi-Rugged – The Latitude E6400 ATG is a 14.1-inch semi-rugged laptop that starts at $2,399 and will be available next week. It is built and tested to meet Military 810F standards for dust, vibration and humidity.
* Desk-Based – From new port replicators to full docking solutions that fit any usage scenario with smaller footprints and streamlined cabling, users can “hot undock.”
Personalize Your Latitude
Dell will offer colors for the first time on Latitude laptops. In addition to Mica-Brushed Metal, the Latitude E4200, E4300, E6400 and E6500 will be available in Regatta Blue, Regal Red and Quartz Pink (E4200 only) in the coming weeks. The E5400 and E5500 are available in Matte Black.
“The new Latitude laptops and Dell Precision mobile workstations represent the largest client product development effort in the history of Dell,” said Jeff Clarke, senior vice president, Dell Product Group. “We’ve invested more than 1 million engineering hours and the result is a family of head-turning products that are as solid on the inside as on the outside, with features that enable better security, manageability and productivity.”
Incorporating a wide range of new technology, Dell’s new Latitudes feature:
* All-day computing on the E6400 with breakthrough battery life of up to 19 hours;2
* Full-frame magnesium alloy construction and all-metal hinges;
* Sophisticated keyboard design;
* Ease of use with Dell ControlPoint, centralizing control of user settings for power management, connectivity configurations and security management in a single application;
* First business-class laptop with an intelligent backlit keyboard that automatically adjusts to ambient light levels;
* Exclusive ControlVault solution – intelligent security sub-processors with embedded non-volatile storage that centralizes and helps protect user credentials and security keys in a single hardened security “vault” away from the systems main drive;
* The E6500 is the only laptop with both a contact-less Smart Card reader and a fingerprint reader that comply with Federal Information Processing Standards; and,
* Simplified IT with compatible peripherals, adapters, docking and robust manageability features across the entire portfolio.
Access E-mail Instantly, Without Booting the OS
The company also previewed Dell Latitude ON, a new technology that will enable near-instant access to e-mail, calendar, attachments, contacts and the Web without booting into the system’s main operating system (OS). Expected in the coming months on the Latitude E4200 and E4300, Dell Latitude ON uses a dedicated low-voltage sub-processor and OS that can enable multi-day battery life.
Revolutionizing Mobile Workstation Performance
Dell, the world’s No. 1 workstation supplier, also unveiled a new line of ISV-certified Dell Precision mobile workstations targeted at performance-oriented customers in the engineering, media, entertainment and biosciences industries.3 Available today, the details include:
* Dell Precision M4400 – Starting at $1,569, the 15.4-inch mobile workstation features leading-edge graphics and supports up to 8 GB of RAM.
* Dell Precision M2400 – Weighing 4.77 pounds, the company’s lightest mobile workstation is a 14.1-inch system that starts at $1,449.1
The company also introduced a 17-inch mobile workstation concept that revolutionizes mobile performance. Housed in an orange, anodized aluminum chassis, it supports up to 16 GB of RAM, a 1 GB graphics card, upcoming quad-core processors and up to a terabyte of storage on two drives. This doubles the amount of memory and processor cores, and triples the storage available on Lenovo and HP mobile workstations today. More details can be found at www.dell.com/nocompromise.
Green on the Go
The new Latitude mainstream and ultra-portable laptops, as well as Dell Precision mobile workstations, are available with Energy Star 4.0-compliant configurations and meet EPEAT “Gold” rated configurations. The Latitude E4200 is Dell’s first notebook offering a motherboard containing halogen-free laminates, as well as halogen-free chassis plastics and fan housings. The ultra-portable laptop also ships in packaging that is up to 99-percent recyclable by weight.
All of the new products are also available with Dell’s ProSupport Mobility Services, a suite of modular services that help companies protect assets and data. To protect confidential company information, Dell can also automate data encryption on all laptops and centrally manage company-defined security policies in a way that is transparent to the end-user. Dell’s Desktop Manager service allows IT to track dispersed systems, distribute software, manage patches and enforce IT policies. For more information, visit www.dell.com/services.
New Community for Digital Nomads
Coinciding with the introduction of Dell’s new laptops, the company launched a new community site called Digital Nomads. It is designed for individuals who are not defined by the four walls in their office or home, but by a desire to always be connected for work and play no matter their location. Community members can come together to read about other digital nomads and share ideas, tips, tricks and best practices. Twitter users will be able to follow live updates from Dell’s press conference and ask questions by following @Digital_Nomads (www.twitter.com/Digital_Nomads).
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they trust and value. Uniquely enabled by its direct business model, Dell is a leading global systems and services company and No. 34 on the Fortune 500. For more information, visit www.dell.com, or to communicate directly with Dell via a variety of online channels, go to www.dell.com/conversations. To get Dell news direct, visit www.dell.com/RSS.
Dell, Latitude, Dell Precision, Dell Latitude ON and ControlVault are registered trademarks of Dell, Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
More Business Laptops Shipped Worldwide Since 1995 – Based on IDC data tracking cumulative worldwide commercial portable shipments from 1995 to 2008 Q1.
1 Notebook weight varies by configuration and manufacturing variability.
2 Battery life based on Dell lab testing on a Latitude E6400 with 9-cell battery, battery slice, integrated graphics and SSD. Varies by configuration, operating conditions and other factors. Maximum battery capacity decreases with time and use.
3 IDC Workstation Tracker May, 2008
Dell Inc., Round Rock
Jeremy Bolen, 512-728-8329
Enfatico for Dell
Elizabeth Crosta, 415-596-9585
Investor Relations Contacts:
Lynn Tyson, 512-723-1130
Robert Williams, 512-728-7570
Thin and light laptops starting at only $649 - offers update every Thursday